lunes, 21 de enero de 2013

Writing Part 2 – A job application / covering letter /email.


Writing Part 2 – A job application / covering letter /email.

FCE word length for Part 2 - 120-180 words.
CAE word length for Part 2 - 220-260 words.

As with Part 1, candidates are expected to show that they are aware of the kind of
writing required to accomplish (complete successfully) a task, and must be able to
use appropriate and / or relevant language. Therefore, this post is intended to
identify the language functions functions, the purpose for writing and also the
usual target reader. In addition to this, Students’ job application letters will also be
added to this post from time to time, together with comments regarding the quality
of the work.

In order to keep it simple and practical for the potential candidates (my dear
pupils), I summarise the main points to keep in mind when writing a job
application letter below.

Register

A job application letter is a formal affair so you should avoid contractions, phrasal
verbs and informal language in general. Don’t be tempted to use words like
“great” or “really”, for example. You will find more examples of this if you read
the post about formal and informal letters and emails.

Job application letters may be written to an individual or to an organisation and it
usually involves applying for a part-time job, vacation work and, in some cases
applying for a study or scholarship opportunity. So, it is evident that the register
must be formal as you are writing to a potential employer or asking a university to
accept you and / or give you a scholarship. This may seem daunting to you now,
however, this is actually a more practical exercise than you think, as you will
probably find yourself doing just this in the near future for real.

The layout

The basic layout (structure) of a job application letter consists of the sections
below. Following each section and its description you will find practical examples
and useful language that you can use when you write your own letter.

Salutation – You do not need to include addresses for this exam task, but you must
greet the person you are writing to. If you know the name of the person you should
write:

Dear Mr / Ms ... , ( and the person’s surname).

The titles above are for married and / or unmarried people. However, sometimes you are
not told who you have to write to exactly, and the appropriate greeting would then be:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Opening - Say why you are writing and the job you are applying for. Remember that
you don’t have to introduce yourself. You should also say where and when you saw the
job offer. The second example is particularly useful when you are not told the exact
name of the job.

E.g. I am writing to apply for the post / vacancy / job of… advertised in the local
newspaper (you can also make up the name of the English newspaper or magazine) on
16 June.

Or

E.g. I have seen your advertisement for the post / vacancy / job of… advertised in the
local newspaper on 16 June. I am writing because I would like to apply for the job.

Main paragraph 1 – Mention your age and your qualifications for the job. These
qualifications must be relevant to the job you are applying for. If you don’t have any
specific qualifications, you can make them up in order to successfully carry out the task.
Remember that you might have to lie about your age as well.

E.g. I am eighteen years old and I am a final year secondary school student. I think I
would be suitable for this job because I have an upper-intermediate level of English. I
have successfully passed the Cambridge FCE examination (in June) and I am currently
doing a CAE course. I also completed a course in Emergency First Aid at the Saint
Mary´s Ambulance Service in Canada in 2012. In addition to this, I ...

Or

I am eighteen years old and I am a first year student at the UCM University in Madrid.
I am doing a degree in Psychology. I have a high level of English and I am currently
doing a CAE course. I will be taking the official exam next June. In addition, I speak
Chinese and I have successfully passed the HSK certificate, which is equivalent to the
Cambridge FCE diploma. Moreover, I hold a driver´s license.

Main paragraph 2 – Mention relevant experience related to the job you are applying
for. Include two or three examples of your work experience and the length of time you
spent doing those jobs. If you are doing the CAE exam, you can expand on this by
mentioning other personal experience gained by doing these jobs.

E.g. I think I would be suitable for the job as I have relevant experience. My most
relevant work experience was last summer when I ...(Write about your experience giving
examples in 2-3 sentences - make it up).

Or

E.g. As you will see from my CV, I have some relevant experience as I .../ owing to the
fact that I have worked as a ... (write about your experience giving examples in 2-3
sentences - make it up).

Main paragraph 3 – Mention relevant information about yourself which can include
your personal qualities and skills that you consider useful for the job.

E.g. Regarding / With reference to my character / personal qualities, I am very
enthusiastic, hard-working and responsible. Furthermore, I am also ...

Or

E.g. As for other personal qualities which might be useful for the job, I am very
enthusiastic...

Or

E.g. In addition to my qualifications and experience, I am very enthusiastic...

Closing – Ask your potential employer to consider your application and if relevant,
mention that you have attached your C.V and that you are willing to attend an interview.

E.g. I attach a full CV, and if you require any further information, I would be happy to
provide it. I would also be happy if you could... (ask for relevant info and/or ask
relevant questions if the task tells to do so). I am available for an interview at any time
convenient to you.

Or

E.g. I am sure I will make a success of this job, and I hope you will consider my
application favourably. I have enclosed my CV for your attention. I would also be glad
to attend an interview at any time convenient to you.

Closing formula - Be very polite and offer your farewell accordingly depending on
your salutation.

E.g. Yours faithfully or Yours sincerely,

Signature - Sign your name and include your surname.

2 comentarios: